Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010

2010. A new year, a new decade. Two Thousand and Ten, or Twenty Ten, whatever you call it, welcome to it. New Year brings to mind a new start, resolutions that will go unmet, and yet a hope that we have a chance to make things right. 2010.

I’ve started thinking about what will happen in my life in 2010 that I can already expect: 1) I turn 29 years old. That last year in my twenties. Ugh. Enough said. 2) I move on to year two without my grandmother. It’s not going to be any easier, but maybe won’t seem as weird because we’ve done this once already. We’ve been through monumental moments without her here, we’ve celebrated holidays with her glaring absence noticed, but we’ve survived. Year two won’t be any better without her, but maybe will feel a bit more normal. 3) My brother deploys to Afghanistan. This is one thing I am trying not to think about on a daily basis but the reality is that he will be sent off to war to defend freedom and democracy in a place that many of us would never even dream of going. While I am so proud, I am also a very worried big sister. 4) Kelsey turns 5 years old this year. Five Years Old. Where has the time gone? I’ve watched my little girl grow up right before my eyes and yet I am asking where every moment has gone? I just might have a breakdown in October, FYI. 5) So many of my good friends are welcoming babies into their lives this year. I am so happy for them and can’t wait to share the love and joy that I have felt with my own daughter and know that they have experienced it too.

So Twenty Ten—I’m ready for you. Ready for the chaos that you will bring, and I will do my best to control what I can and give to God what I cannot!

“Chaos in the world brings uneasiness, but it also allows the opportunity for creativity and growth.”- Tom Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment