I have not posted any sort of updates on this pregnancy on this blog, but if you're a friend on Facebook, you are well aware of the struggles I have faced, and oh boy, has this baby girl put me through the ringer!! Though this is not my first pregnancy, I have learned or have been reminded of quite a bit in the past 8 months.
1) Throwing up sucks. I have thrown up more in the past 8 months than I have in the past 8 years. I did not get sick one day with Kelsey, had some nausea, but never actually got sick. This baby girl? She has a mind of her own, and I am lucky to keep any meals down each day. The upside? I have not gained much weight!
2) I have an addiction. Tums are my best friend, particularly peppermint tums. I pop them like candy. YUM! My best friend was in town for a visit, and actually expressed her concern over my Tums "habit"... hey, what can I say? They soothe the heartburn and nausea. I love them. Now the moment I am no longer pregnant, I will be repulsed by them, but for the time being, my bottle of Tums is never more than just an arms reach away. My name is Kristin, and I am an addict.
3) Being pregnant means buying a ton of toilet paper. Frequent trips to the bathroom because the baby won't get off your bladder = using rolls and rolls of TP. Enough said.
4) You can truly live with a minimal wardrobe. I have a pair of maternity jeans, a pair of maternity shorts, two pair of maternity capris, a variety of tops, and some dresses that have worked for me throughout this pregnancy. That's it. And my closet stays neat and organized. Maybe I should continue with this minimalist wardrobe post-baby?? Probably not.
5) I am much slower these days. Slower going up the stairs. Slowing going down the stairs. Slower rolling out of bed (literally, ROLLING out of bed), in general, I've just slowed down. This totally goes against my nature and my personality. I'm normally go-go-go nonstop. Pregnancy changes all that.
6) Pregnancy causes insomnia. I know they say to rest while you can, but it physically becomes impossible. You can't sleep on your stomach (obviously), and you aren't supposed to sleep on your back. You are supposed to sleep on your left side to increase blood flow and circulation, but it is nearly impossible to stay in one position all night long. First of all, my arm falls asleep from laying on my side. My back starts to hurt from being in one position, and the weight of the baby pulls the muscles in my back. It's awesome. I've taken to passing out around 10 PM, I get up every hour or so for a bathroom break, only to "wake up" around 2 or 3 AM and get up for a few hours. My DVR and I have done a lot of catching up. Maybe it's just the body's way of preparing you for the sleep deprivation that is soon to come.
7) Bedrest is torture. I was on hospitalized bedrest for almost a month when I was pregnant with Kelsey. I thought I might escape it this time around. Nope. I ended up being put on bedrest at 36 weeks with this baby, but at least I'm at home. Have to stay off my feet as much as possible and rest. This is very difficult for many of the reasons listed above. Add an almost 5 year old to the mix who keeps us very busy around the house and well, you'll see the bedrest is really amusing. The idea of it is fantastic when all you want to do is slow down and sleep... the reality of it just isn't practical.
8) Pregnancy brings out the worst in you, but the best in others. It gives you plenty of reasons to complain, whine, be in a bad mood, etc. But there are people in our lives who are supportive, caring, and remind us daily of the blessing we are carrying, not a burden. It really is a beautiful thing.
9) People can't STAND secrets. Everyone wants to know-- what are you having? A boy or a girl? We revealed that early on. But we decided to keep this baby's name a secret until she is born. Just something that we can share with others that will remain a surprise. This doesn't go over so well with everyone else! But we are enjoying it immensely :)
10) As old as pregnancy gets, every time this baby girl kicks me, I smile. It is a gentle (sometimes!) reminder that life is growing inside of me, and this little bitty person is just as eager to meet us as we are to meet her. I feel truly blessed and look forward to welcoming my new baby girl into the world, whenever she is ready. Hopefully it will be soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment