― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
Do you remember playing the game "Mother, May I?" when you were younger? One person would be the "mother", and he/she would bark orders to the other players. Before the player could follow that order, they must ask, "Mother, May I?", to which Mother would respond, "Yes, You may" or "No, You may not".
I found myself in a rut the other day, envious of the freedom and flexibility that so many others have right now, or what they appear to have. I became overwhelmed with the thought that so many things were out of my control right now in my life and the reality of that burden weighed heavily on me both physically and emotionally. I am an adult though, right? An adult capable of making decisions and choices for myself, yet I feel as if I have to either do without or ask permission. Mother, May I?
At this point in my life, I live on a schedule dictated by children, and (long) gone are the days where my schedule determined the activities of my day. Want to make a phone call? Better wait until Kirby is napping or quietly focused on an activity. Need to go to the grocery store? Forget that, just order them online and pick them up later. Want something from the mall? HA! Next? Need to use the restroom? Can't. The baby is asleep in my lap and if I move he will wake up and then I'm back to square one again. Shower today? Hopefully I can sneak one in when the husband gets home from work later this evening and before bath times and feedings start again.
I shared some of my frustrations with a friend the other afternoon post-my-sorta-breakdown. I admired her ability to take time for herself: to work out, to vacation, to breathe. And she reminded me that I am currently recovering from delivery, raising a newborn, toddler, and 6 year old, and that it will get easier to find the time I am so craving for me. I simply have to ask for that time, or if that is not possible right now, continue creating space for that time so that eventually it will be there for me. When I am ready. When it is right.
For someone who is so used to being in control and commanding my immediate environment (Hey, teaching middle school is quite the challenge, am I right?), allowing myself to be vulnerable and submitting to the lack of control that I feel at this time is very difficult. And the reality is, it is going to be a while before I am back in charge of everything and I feel that sense of relief and calm. Until then, I need to take control over what I can and accept that it is enough. After all, I am the mother, and the only person I need to ask permission to do things for myself is myself. Kristin, May I?
Yes, You May.

Yes dear, yes you most certainly May!!
ReplyDelete"What they appear to have " is the key :-) Just remember at the end of this long, rewarding journey that is parenthood, your children will look back and say "I had the best mom EVER and I don't know how she managed to do it all." Because I bet that's just what they'll say <3
ReplyDelete